Monday, September 26, 2011

The Drabblecast ~ #217 "Followed" by Will McIntosh

Art by John Deberge

Another hit for Drabblecast this week as our host, Norm Sherman, delivers great stuff in the form of drabbles and twit fics, and amazing story, and more floppy boob jokes from Connor Choadsworth. The theme of this week was eating my brain until I picked up that ugly stick and beat the zombie off me, and then I realized as I was felt the change that this week was all  about the undead.

The drabble, “They’re Stocks Are Down, But They Will Not Die” was presented by prolific writer and drabbler, and new Drabblecast submissions editor, Nathan Lee. Nathan has been in the biz for some time now and has drabbles and writings appear on previous Drabblecasts, Pseudopod, and Daily Science Fiction. Check out his stuff, and I do mean his work, at http://www.mirrorshards.org/.

We are also blessed to hear the final conclusion of Connor Choadsworth’s “In Search of the Brain Eating Nandi Bear” part VI. A two part episode that blew my socks…, pants…, brains…, yes brains. With a clutch of boob jokes to carry the comedy, I have to say that this mini-series was not as good as “In Search of the Mongolian Death Worm” story. All in all though it did its job and now I have the rest of my life to think about poopy #2 pencils.

“Followed”, our main feature was a weird rollercoaster of emotion. Skillfully written by Will McIntosh, the tale in a sense is about how people avoid death. Death always come a shuffling after you when the time is right, and it doesn’t matter if your rich or poor, fat or thin, death always finds you. The acceptance of the end is the key to this one folks. I don’t want to spill too much into this so im just going to say check it out, because this is the stuff that Drabblecast is made of.



5 comments:

  1. interesting...also do you know what Will Mcintosh is trying to convey in his short story?

    ReplyDelete
  2. also, what do the zombies symbolize?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many interpretations can be made from any of Will's stories. To me, it seems to be a warning to how our society changing, and not for the better. The theme seemed to be about accepting death, at least to me. The man rejecting "his corpse" at first and doing what he can, even paying her off, to avoid the situation. Even at the restaurant and in public people ignore the death that surrounds them, and lead glutinous lives as if death is the last thing they're thinking about.

    Thanks for your comments, I have moved the blog to another site, well actually to: http://www.unspeakablegibberer.com I’ve got all the tasty bits of weirdness there as well, and think you might like it.

    P.S. if you like Will McIntosh's work, check out his newest book, Hitchers, good stuff.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, that was pretty helpful. However, do you know what the zombies symbolize?

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh and the button??? that confuses me the most

    ReplyDelete