Saturday, September 10, 2011

Where's My Shoggoth?

There’s a new crowd getting into Lovecraft these days, and im not talking about your average cultists. I was bumping around Amazon.com one day looking for a couple new books to bury my nose in, when I came across this.






Little Wilbur Whateley has a god.
It's a big red god.
Other folks have gods, too ...
but Wilbur has the biggest, reddest god in Dunwich







I was dumbfounded, and lost my sanity as I scrolled down to see a relative list of children’s books based in the Lovecraft Mythos. A sense of hopeless joy washed over me as I browsed through the reviews of “Where the Deep Ones Are”, “The Antarctic Express”, and “Baby’s First Mythos”.

"Baby's First Mythos" is a collection of short stories and poems "to blast your childs soul" as one description put it, and is written by C.J. Henderson and drawn by Erica Henderson. The author of "The Antarctic Express", and "Cliffourd The Big Red God", - Kenneth Hite is quite prolific in the realm of Lovecraft, and  does an amazing job addapting two childrens classics ("Where The Wild Things Are", and "the Polar Express") for children, and I am happy to say that I will be looking forward to sharing these with my kids someday.


Interested in what else might be floating around for children mythos books, I looked around some more and came across what seems to be a promising book in the future. “Where’s My Shoggoth?” is a fully illustrated book from Archaia publishing written by Ian Thomas and dawn by Adam Bolton. The book has recently been finished and will be in Archaia’s spring catalog. The tale is about a young boy who loses his pet shoggoth, and in the journey to find it encounters a bunch of other Lovecraftian creatures. Im looking forward to grabbing this one and I will throw up an update when I hear more news.


 



1 comment:

  1. I am the chap who illustrated “Where’s my Shoggoth?” and to celebrate it’s release/escape Ian Thomas and myself are running a quick competition with free copies and canvas prints as prizes.

    Please do take a look and see if it’s something you would be interested in. All the details can be found by following the link below including previews of the book itself.

    http://wheresmyshoggoth.com/competition/

    Tekeli-li yours
    Adam Bolton

    ReplyDelete